With the beginning of the school year, our annual program ‘Around the turn of independent living’ for 16 high school students of 8-11 grades Berezhany and Novosilka boarding schools and Ternopil orphanage began. The first workshop ‘The Independent Me’ was held at the premises of the Information and Resource Center for Orphans on October 19, 2019 and the speakers were: Iryna Vakaliuk, a psychologist and program director of the Foundation, together with TNPU students Tamara Morozovych, Liza Obelchak and Iryna Bodnar majoring in Social Work , as well as the representatives of the Foundation: Volodymyr Yavorskyi and Andriy Nazarenko who shared their life experiences.
The program ‘Around the turn of independent living’ has been implemented for the seventh consecutive year by a team of coaches experienced in working with students from boarding schools, and aims to develop the skills and abilities necessary for full social integration and successful independent life in students.
During the workshop ‘The Independent Me’ participants were:
- developing problem-solving skills;
- planning their own lives as a whole;
- learning to solve life situations;
- developing algorithms for action in typical situations;
- planning, visualizing their future achievements;
- using public transport;
- independently exploring the city of Ternopil;
- selecting a place for having a meal (lunch);
- making up the budget for the day off;
- analyzing the cost of items;
- giving #feedbackon each day;
- spending time in the circle of like-minded people
The young people also visited Dog Sterilization Center in the village of Dychkiv for the first time and became acquainted with the lives of dogs abandoned by their owners.
We would like to thank NGO ‘Noah’s Ark’and Oksana Badlo for such a trip for the children!
Thank you, Vasyl Dubinskyi, for free transportation of the group of participants from Ternopil to Dychkiv and back!
The program is being implemented with the assistance of the Department of Education and Science of Ternopil State Regional Administration and the financial support of the Global Fund for Children, USA.